Sunday, December 7, 2008

What's Wrong With the Punisher Franchise?

Welcome back to my humble blog noble followers. This week I felt like discussing something which bothered me this weekend. The wife and I saw the Punisher movie in the theaters this weekend and didn't care for it. We both agreed that this movie missed the boat on what the Punisher is. The Punisher is not a sensitive do-gooder who questions why he's being a vigilante. The Punisher is an emotionally withdrawn man who is more likely to pistol whip you than threaten to do something.
Goddamn it Lexi Alexander! The Punisher is not a three dimensional character! The appeal of the Punisher is that he is an undeveloped character. The Punisher is an obsessed, fanatical vigilante who's sense of right and wrong is black and white. Vigilantes don't need pep talks. They need more bullets and bigger guns! Maybe the era of vigilantes in movies are over. Maybe society has decided that there is no longer a place for private justice. I don't have answers to those questions, but I do know how to fix the Punisher film franchise. It's a simple equation, more guns, a higher body count, and no family feel-good moments.
The original 1990 Punisher flick had the right actor and feel for the Punisher but the movie was so-so. The Thomas Jane version was a solid revenge flick, but it didn't feel like the Punisher. This one had great action, but tried to do too much. It felt so forced seeing the Punisher sorry for himself. The Punsiher I know is entirely devoid of emotion. For a semi-green director, I will let this one slide. I was happy that the newest movie tried to be more faithful to the comic, and for that reason I will give a sequel (if they make one) another chance. Until then, "I still talk to God sometimes...(wondering why they can't make an awesome Punisher movie)."

No comments: